Sunday, July 26, 2009

A handful of patience is worth more than a bushel of brains.


Patience. Something I am often in short supply of. I've been known to get snarky and impatient with online tech support for just about everything. However, nothing fries my patience more than computer problems and arrogant tech support people that treat you like you're brain dead. The last time I talked to my ISP support I hung up on them. Of course, I didn't get my problem fixed and realized after I hung up that it was actually me who was doing something wrong. Ouch.

I had some major problems on Friday. No internet service on either computer after I'd made some changes to my passwords. I did feel a little embarrassed calling Tech support after my tirade last week. But, I took several cleansing breaths and called. Fortunately I didn't get the same guy,

Over an hour later, going through the resets a couple of times on each computer I had internet back on both. I didn't get pissy with the technician, I patiently repeated the same tedious steps when they didn't work the first time. The guy was very nice and not in the least bit condescending - which helped the cause. I was proud of myself.

Then I decided to tackle the problem with my web design software being incompatible with some of the programs on the desk top computer. I'd already spent many frustrating hours trying to fix it several weeks ago. One of the reasons for buying the nice big screen was for me to do my design work on it. This morning, calm and patient, I managed to fix it within ten minutes.

Hmm, maybe there's something magical about this patience thing.

3 comments:

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I have a tendency to go ballistic when it comes to computers that don't work, Anne. And I'm usually pretty mellow.

Unknown said...

I try to be mellow - but I rarely succeed.

Kelly Boyce said...

Hahaha! Yes, deep calming breaths. Find the zen, find the zen...