Monday, March 1, 2010

Half Way Mark

I wrote my 1200 words this morning and passed the midpoint of the book. The last scene was full of emotion and resulted in a turnaround for my hero and heroine - in opposite directions.

So now, I'm left with...what?

I don't know! I know the next turning point but I want the hero and heroine to spend time together falling in love. I want her to believe that her dreams might be coming true before the next turning point destroys that dream.

I'm going to take a break. Eat lunch. Hit the gym. See if any epiphanies come my way.

What do you do when you don't know what happens next?

6 comments:

Unknown said...

For me, the midpoint to the black moment is all about upping the stakes and having bad things stalking them. They're working together and falling in love, but any second the rug can be pulled from under them.

Unknown said...

Cat, I have two BAD things coming up so I want this scene to be a little "honeymoon." Then it immediately blows up in a way that leaves no hope.

But the quieter, emotional scenes are the hardest for me to write.

Janet said...

I've had this suggested to me on numerous occasions - and have used it with some success!

List 10 things off the top of your head that could happen next - don't think too long and hard about them, just list them. Wacky, way out there, no-way-in-hell, are-you-crazy all count.

The free writing usually loosens my brain up and I end up coming up with something that makes sense.

Good luck, Anne - I also find that walking or stepping away from the computer helps; so you're gym visit might be just the ticket.

Kelly Boyce said...

I like to kill someone. Preferably in the book. The authorities frown on it when I try it any other way. Failing that, I drink.

Julia Phillips Smith said...

LOL, Kelly!

But seriously...

I go for a walk. Walking really sets my subconscious loose. Or perhaps it focuses my subconscious. Either way, walking works.

Unknown said...

Congrats on getting to the halfway point Anne!

I agree with Julia. I have to do something else - going for a walk or a drive even. I always figured out the problems from my last manuscript when I was nursing at 4 in the morning...barely awake and definitely not thinking about anything romance related. Don't know what I'll do this time - walk the dog I guess.