Tuesday, June 24, 2008

My Baby


My Baby is graduating from high school. Here she is with her date a couple of hours ago before heading down to the Westin Hotel for the prom. It's been an emotional week for me and it's only Tuesday.

The actual graduation ceremony is Thursday and I know I'm going to be all teary-eyed. It seems that only two minutes ago she was eight and now she's eighteen.

While taking pictures at the public gardens I ran into someone I haven't seen in over twenty years. We went to prom together. His son was graduating with my daughter. How weird is that? He introduced me to his wife and he now has four kids.

Although we dated some we were mostly friends. We hung around with the same crowd for years and when we started talking it was like we had never been apart. Both of us laughing about all the crazy stuff we did and catching up on mutual friends. It was like the last thirty years just disappeared and we were eighteen again. He was one of the few guys that always appreciated my sense of humour. It brought back some great memories.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

My baby's turning 9 in 2 months. I don't even want to think about her going to prom and graduating high school (or driving a car.) I'm enjoying this pre-teen kiddo to the hilt.

Unknown said...

That's a great age Cat. And do enjoy the time while they're young - those teen years will be here before you know it.

Annette Gallant said...

Your daughter looks so beautiful! That's the perfect dress for her. And I passed you on the way to the other prom tonight; I had just picked up my daughter. It's been a crazy week, for sure.

That's neat about running into your former date. And I know what you mean. Some people you can just pick up where you left off and it never seems awkward, no matter how much time has passed.

Unknown said...

LOL Annette - my youngest is still out. They had a party before the dance, a pool party after the dance and then a sleepover for the girls at a friends house just up the street.

After so many years together in the same class this week has been a bit emotional for them. Some of them are off to a different High School. Next year they'll all be in different classes for the first time ever.

Not getting much writing time this week though.

Annette Gallant said...

LOL Ah, to be that young again. I remember the days when life seemed to be one party/sleepover after another. Now, I'm lucky if I can stay up past 10pm!

I saw a stretch limo, probably coming from the school, as I was going there. On the drive home, my daughter and her friend were already asking about it for next year!

Yeah, not too much writing here either. Working 3 days this week plus hubby is away so I'm by myself with all the kid stuff. Man, a lot happens the last week of school. Hoping the weekend is a bit calmer.

Kelly Boyce said...

Time flies! How funny that you ran into the guy you went to prom with. Congrats on your daughter's graduation and hope you get through it without destroying too much kleenex!

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Anne - she's a beauty. Gorgeous dress and I love the expression on her face. So glad you ran into your own prom date on her prom night. How very circular.