Friday, January 8, 2010

Soon to be Skinny Me

You might have noticed the little weight loss ticker on the right of my blog. Well, it is soon to disappear because, drum roll please, I've lost 34 lbs.

Success!

Here are my before and after pictures.


For the first time in ten years, losing weight is not one of my New Year's goals.  For the first time in 10 Christmas's I wasn't struggling into my "good" clothes and wondering if I would be able to sit down because my pants were too tight. For the first time in 10 years I don't have to face the scale at Weight Watchers with dread for my first weigh in of the New Year.

What made the difference? A couple of things. A change in attitude. I ditched the perfectionist, all or nothing attitude and accepted that I was going to do the weight loss journey for the entire year. No more being disappointed at the slow progress. I was doing it until it was done. I wasn't giving up no matter what.

I also had the support and commitment of a good friend. We both said we would show up for those Friday morning meetings. Of course, life and work got in the way a few times but we didn't let more than a week or two go by before we got back to the meetings. Even when we knew the scale wasn't going to be our friend we jumped on it (ok, maybe we tentatively climbed on it and held our breath) and started again. Thanks AG for all the help and support. Couldn't have done it without you.

Of course, this journey is far from over but maintaining the weight loss is a different challenge. So, 2010 is a year of honoring myself by keeping my body healthy and strong. No matter how the world treats me, I will treat myself with respect and kindness.

Tomorrow, Sat, I'm over on healthywriter.blogspot.com talking about healthy eating.

8 comments:

Suzanne Ross Jones said...

Congratulations. You look fantastic.

Unknown said...

Thanks Suzanne. Just hope I can say the same at the end of 2010.

Kelly Boyce said...

You look great, Anne! Congrats on reaching the goal. When you were walking around at the meeting yesterday I was thinking how much slimmer and fanastic you looked. Way to go!!

Unknown said...

Wow, you look amazing. What great willpower you have. So many people I know struggle with dieting and never make headway. Congratulations!!

Unknown said...

Thanks Kelly. I was eying my neighbour's fish and chips at lunch yesterday with great envy. LOL.

Unknown said...

Cat, it's a life time struggle. Sometimes I'm on the winning side, sometimes I'm not. This time feels different though. More balanced and not so crazed about it all.

Maisey said...

Anne, major congrats to you! I have weight to lose...again...this year. I was a very heavy teenager and when I was sixteen my dad offered me five hundred dollars for a shopping spree in Portland if I lost fifty pounds. I did. I've managed to keep all of that off since, and lost the baby weight between each child. I had lost twenty more pounds right before getting pregnant with Alani, and then I went and gained...forty pounds with her. So, I'm very inspired by you right now, since I have to jump right back into the weight loss game myself.

Maintaining is much easier than losing. :-)

Unknown said...

Thanks Maisey. I think the whole weight thing is an almost universal struggle for a lot of women.

I'm sure you'll get back to where you need to be. Running after two little boys while caring for an infant will keep you pretty active.