Friday, May 7, 2010

The Joy! of Gardening?

I love flowers. My grandmother had the most beautiful garden paradise at her little house high above the Northwest Arm. My mother, now in her seventies, spends hours this time of year cultivating her garden. Cuttings from it adorn her table center pieces.

Here's one of the beautiful azaleas that I look forward to blossoming every year in my garden:

It's beautiful, isn't it? And I have another one just like it. But, it takes no work. Just comes up like that each year.

Now, here's a tree at the end of the front walk, with the buds just forming in preparation for a wonderful green curtain over my front yard. It keeps the front window in the shade during the summer and helps keep the living room cool. In the winter, it's bare leaves leave the sun shining into my front window. Happens every year. No help from me.



Here's my rock garden:


It needs work. Every year. Weed pulling. Trimming. Additions.

I've come to the conclusion that as much as I like gardens, I don't like gardening.

3 comments:

Janet said...

Amen, Sister! And everyone else's garden always looks so beautiful in comparison!

The new house comes with gardens that the last owners let get away from them. Now I have flowers growing up in the grass, grass growing in the flower beds and a sea of beautiful yellow posies (dandelions). All I can do is stare at it and wonder "What the heck am I going to do with this mess?"

Gravel comes to mind!!

Unknown said...

Janet, I've seriously considered the gravel option.

Unknown said...

I so hear you Anne. I aspire to garden. I do not aspire to get eaten alive by mosquitos, however, which is what would happen to me if I garden when I can, which is after supper.

I keep trying - I have been doing battle with Chinese lanterns for 5 years (so much so I can't imagine EVER buying one) - but it is a losing battle.