Thursday, May 13, 2010

Progress

Finished all the Daphne entries. Scored and Sent back.

Mowed the lawn. Cleaned the Car.

Had my Crit meeting last night and realized one of the scenes I'd written had to go. Two kids showed up and they have no place in my very glamorous Desire. I've banished them to Chicago (that's where their father lives and since they're no relation to the hero or heroine, what the hell were they doing in my story?) So, I'm back to creating a soiree at the Yacht club where the heroine comes face to face with hero's fiance. I promise there won't be any food fights. Although that would be cool.

I don't know why I have so many family issues and side stories popping up for my hero and heroine in this story.  Maybe because  I gave them such rich back stories and I'm trying to have them work out their issues before they get together?

Planning on writing the synopsis over the next couple of days. With a clearer direction maybe I can keep my characters on the right train.

Do you write synopsis before or after story? Does it help?

8 comments:

Janet said...

IMO - sounds like you have the making of a single title contemporary romance on your hands, Anne!

I hate synopsis! Have tried both ways - still hate them. Before - too confined (I'm a pantser), after, too hard to pare down to the simple plot! Did I say 'hate'? Perhaps 'loathe' is a better word!

Unknown said...

Janet, yes I'm fighting against making this a longer book. We'll see where the battle ends.

Unknown said...

Funny about the backstory appearing in the form of kids and relatives. I'm usually so focused on the hero and heroine that the rest of the cast are cardboard cut outs.

The synopsis. What a horrible torture. I don't usually write it until I'm somewhere around chapter 3. At that point, my fast start is slowing down and I begin to realize I have no idea where the rest of the story is heading. It's funny to read it once the book is done because things often change plot wise during the writing.

Unknown said...

Cat, my secondaries come with their own backstory, gmc's etc.

Whenever I've written a synopsis at the beginning of the story it changes so much I wonder why I wrote it.

Roland D. Yeomans said...

You have to the broad canvas of the novel in your mind before you start. I mean, if you don't know where you're going, how will you ever know when you get there?

And how will the reader?

I call those bold strokes on the canvas of my mind the "Nazca Lines." I wrote a post on them. It might prove helpful to you if only to consider then reject them.

Here's the link if you're curious :
http://rolandyeomans.blogspot.com/2010/04/mysterious-nazca-lines-for-writers.html

Have a lovely weekend. Oh, and tomorrow there is a Flirt Blogfest going on :
http://critiquethiswip.blogspot.com/2010/04/announcing-flirt-fest-blogfest.html

I'd love to read an entry that you would do for it, Roland

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I don't plot, so writing a synopsis before I write the story itself seems impossible. But I've been reading lately about jotting down notes about each chapter which will help form the synopsis, and I find myself attracted to that idea.

Unknown said...

Thanks for the links, Roland. I'll check them out.

Unknown said...

Julia, jotting down notes from each chapter sounds like a good idea to prepare for the synopsis.