Monday, May 28, 2007

N..N..Nervous


I'm biting my nails right now because I've just sent my synopsis and first thirty pages to a published author in our RWA chapter. She offered to read it before I sent my proposal and I couldn't pass up the chance to get such valuable feedback. She's a Golden Heart winner and a past Rita nominee so I'm nervous - and a little queasy.

I have a hard time exposing my writing to people I know. Joining a critique group with a few of my writer friends and actually letting them read my words was difficult. I knew I had to do it to move to the next level in my writing and productivity, but it wasn't easy. I'm comfortable with them now and I don't cringe when they critique, mostly they aren't too harsh and mostly they are dead on.

Now I'm obsessing about my query letter and the fact that I've asked them to recycle the three chapters. Does that sound like I don't expect them to keep and cherish every word I've written? Sigh, I still have to pick out a postcard to include.

9 comments:

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Ha! Ha! I was just talking about that with my husband. I'm relieved that I don't need to have the return postage because of the shredding thing.

Just noticed your goal over at Christine's blog - thumbs up to you, Anne! I'm feeling very positive. Hope you do, too.

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you!! I know it's hard to put your writing out there because I feel the same way. But it really is the only way to find out how others perceive it.

Anyway, having such an experienced author look your work over is too good an opportunity to pass up.

I never thought about the whole stamp thing. Hmmm, my hubby is going to the States next week. Maybe I should get him to stop by a post office for me.

Unknown said...

Julia, I still needed postage for the postcard and SASE, just not a large one for the return of the three chapters. I purchased the American stamps at the Sciene Fiction & Stamp store on Alderney Dr.

Unknown said...

Annette, do have your Hubby pick up some stamps - makes it a lot easier.

Anonymous said...

Thanks. I wish I had thought of it when I was in NY. However, I always seem to know someone who is going to the States, so from now on I'll put in an order.

How do you know how much postage to put on your chapters, though? Do you take it in to post office and weigh it?

Alright, I need to get busy on that synopsis. Honestly, why is it so difficult to write? I'm sure a lot of it must be practice.

Unknown said...

Annette, that's why I'm telling them to "recycle" the chapters rather than send them back. I'm just enclosing an SASE and a postcard.

Synopsis are the worst. Good luck with yours.

Unknown said...

Good for you Anne! I'm sure she will love your story and I'm sure you'll do very well with it. Everyone has always told me how great your writing is. :)

Julia Phillips Smith said...

Thanks for the info, Anne! That's a huge help.

Kelly Boyce said...

Yay! Good for you! You are making a lot of progress lately. You should be proud.