Thursday, July 12, 2007

Quick Update

I don't know where the last four days have gone. I started out so inspired and motivated to write. Let me just come right out and say that I've only managed to write about 8 pgs - miles away from the planned 28 pgs this week. I want to be the kind of person who gets the writing done even when the things are falling apart around me, but I just haven't achieved it yet.

Monday I had a plumber at my house trying to fix problems that another plumber, who was here last week, had created. The bottom line is I have to replace all my fixtures because they don't make the fittings, etc. anymore. My planned bath renovation wasn't scheduled until after several of the other home improvement projects were completed this summer. But, since my taps are leaking constantly, I have to move it up to probably the first thing.

Then my car was shaking when I turned it on in the mornings, although it was working fine once it warmed up for a couple of minutes. Now, my car is old and I planned to replace it before the safety inspection date rolled around in November. And really, how bad could it be if the car was still running fine after the shaking stopped? A fan belt? o2 Sensor? Well it is MAJOR stuff, lots of money, and on Tuesday I was advised by the service center to take it home and give it a decent burial.

I'm a thrifty girl and the amount of money involved in all this is causing me major stress. I couldn't even get to sleep last night - and believe me, I NEVER have trouble sleeping.

And between all that the kids had dentist appointments. My youngest had to get a baby tooth pulled because the adult one was coming in with no place to go. If it doesn't straighten itself out, she may need braces.

Anyway, enough whining.

Today I started internet shopping for a car. I decided to buy rather than lease, mainly because of the mileage restrictions. My oldest daughter will start University next year so she'll probably be driving my car as well. I also tend to keep my cars for as long as they run, 8-10 years. I talked to my Ex, who knows about cars, and to my father to get advice. My last car was a real lemon so I won't be sorry to see the tail end of it.

Tomorrow or Saturday it will be off to do some real life car shopping.

And somewhere in there I have to write 20 pgs.

Also, check out Kara Lenox's You-can-do-it-blog, it's about making dreams come true.

3 comments:

Julia Phillips Smith said...

I know what you mean about having plans for page output and then comes life. Ah well. Focus on the 8 you did write, and keep on going. That's my only saving grace.

Anonymous said...

Sorry about your plumbing and car woes. When it rains it pours, I guess.

I agree with Julia. Don't focus on what you didn't write, but on what you did write. And, if you combine those 8 pages with the ones from last week, it equals out to be a very impressive output for two weeks.

I'm also struggling to make my 4 pages a day. I worked yesterday and was too tired to string even a sentence together once I got home. I wish I had the kind of energy some writers have, but I don't. However, I'm going to keep plugging away. If nothing else, the challenge is keeping me motivated to push my page count beyond what it normally is.

Unknown said...

Oh Anne that sucks. I hate it when everything seems to hit like that all at once. I wouldn't worry about your writing. You did get 8 pages, which is more than I would have managed if our places were reversed.

I hope the car shopping went well.